Monday, September 26, 2011

Africa Black and White by Nick Brandt Power Point

The photos in this power point are breathtaking. I love them. I love to just stare at them for over 5 minutes or even an hour. It's really cool how the environment in his pictures are always epic. The background makes the subject stand out. I love how he maximize the emotions shown in every pictures.

It was hard to pick which one was my favorite, I thought the first picture I saw with an elephant drinking, being right in the middle of the photo and showing symmetry was going to be my favorite photo, but actually every pictures are breathtaking. I couldn't decide but maybe the Abandoned Ostrich Egg might be my favorite.

Nick Brandt used Pentax 67II camera with 3 lenses; 55mm, 105mm and 200mm. The longest lens is the 35mm equivalent of a 100mm.
One of his reason to take these unique pictures in Africa is his desire to express his view and the beauty he sees through the world. His reasons are his hope.
He hopes to shows two things; "an elegy to a world that is tragically vanishing, to make people see what beauty is disappearing... (and) to try and show that animals are sentient creatures equally as worthy of life as humans."
He says "Right now, it’s just Africa, and specifically East Africa. There’s something about the animals here – their mythic, mythological, iconic quality – and the landscapes that they inhabit that moves me tremendously, but, in time I may photograph animals in other parts of the world." to the response if Nick was only interested in African animals.

Abandoned Ostrich Egg, Amboseli 2007 by Nick Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment